Patient Operations Specialist: Front Desk (Wednesday - Sunday)
Company: Central Oregon Pediatrics Associates
Posted on: May 25, 2023
PURPOSE OF POSITION: The COPA experience begins each time our
patients or their families have an encounter with a COPA team
member and continues throughout their visit. The purpose of the
Patient Operations Specialist is to ensure patients have access to
medical care through appointment scheduling. To ensure success in
these areas of responsibility, patient operations team members must
understand policies, rules, workflows, legal obligations (HIPAA,
OSHA, PHI, etc.), and possess competent skills in varying software
applications with outstanding attention to detail. The department
is ultimately responsible for providing a family friendly
environment which is welcoming to all people.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS:
Maintains an in-depth knowledge of principles, practices,
standards, and techniques and demonstrates knowledge in accordance
with COPA policies and procedures within pertinent laws and
regulations in the following areas:
- Greeting and Welcoming Customers with exceptional customer
- Registration information verification in person and by
- Checks in patient properly and thoroughly without errors
- Listens to patient thoroughly while making them feel welcomed
and without disrupting them while speaking
- Fills in all required fields within EMR to ensure quality
- Clear communication with staff across all departments to ensure
proper daily flow
- Scanning and labeling documents into the proper locations
- Handing out correct forms and release of information to
patients and parents for proper flow for providers and clinical
- Answering and transferring calls correctly
- Creating encounters to clinical departments, providers and
other departments efficiently
- Scheduling future and same day appointments correctly
(repeating date, time & location correctly)
- Insurance verification and knowledge of insurances
- Maintaining Patient Portal/ My Health appointments and
assisting to help create accounts for families
- Delivering labs and faxes the appropriate areas
- Restocking forms as needed
- Collection of money and copays by phone and collect in person,
posting payments correctly and balancing tills
- Quality assurance of fee slips for processing
- Audits accounts for accuracy.
- Proper follow through with follow up appointments/check
- Relays appropriate appointment detail and financial information
to patients prior to appointments
- Exercises problem-solving and conflict resolution within
- Knowledge of HIPAA & rules for medical records regulations
- May be asked to participate in the training program for all new
- May have to travel to other locations as needed for
- Performs other related work as directed by immediate
supervisor. Assister Duties:
- Aid and process state and/or federal applications for insurance
coverage for patients and community members.
- Review and process pending applications for missing
documentation and reach out to families as needed to complete
- Troubleshoot application questions or concerns from patients
and community members.
- Schedule and meet with all possible OHP enrollment
- An Assister will complete any non-hardship applications
received. Once an approval or denial has been issued the Assister
completing the application will reach out to the family with the
- Timely documentation of all assistance including insurance
eligibility status in the electronic medical record (EMR) per
- Serves as a liaison between state/federal systems and patient,
providing timely follow-up and processing of applications and
insurance eligibility status. Core Competencies:
- Represents COPA in a professional manner while performing job
duties for patients/families, physicians, visitors and/or other
staff members as evidenced by appropriate language, dress and
- Maintains quality and efficiency standards as set by the
- Participates in activities that promote professional growth and
- Attends pertinent in service departmental and other meetings as
requested by immediate supervisor
- Provides professional two-way communication of the COPA
mission, vision and values.
- Exhibits positive, professional communication with providers,
patients, families, staff and leadership team while collaborating
and cooperating to improve operations and the patient
- Regular and reliable attendance is required. Problem
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to identify
work-related problems, research complex information, create
insights, communicate recommendations, and implement appropriate
- Maintains a constant awareness of the legal aspects of position
and demonstrates this in decisions related to job performance
- Complies with state and federal standards regarding
occupational safety, health, labor, and industry.
- Maintains and demonstrates a thorough knowledge of departmental
and clinic safety policies and procedures as they pertain to the
- Maintains a safe environment for patients, guests and
- Maintain knowledge and understanding HIPAA laws and regulations
to guarantee compliance.
- Maintains confidentiality of information deemed confidential.
- Establishes a therapeutic presence by effectively utilizing
communication skills and by being present for others in a
- Maintains harmonious and cooperative relations with fellow
employees, physicians, patients and guests.
- Promotes healing by maintaining a peaceful, orderly and clean
- Communicates well with others internally & externally
throughout the company.
- Conducts themselves as a Servant Leader in support of others'
- Supports COPA and clinic vision, values and mission. Nothing in
this job description restricts management's right to assign or
reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Education and Certification:
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Recognized certifications include: AHIMA - RHIT, AAPC - CPC,
OHA HCI Qualified or Certified Interpreter Experience:
- Three years of customer service experience required, clerical
experience in clinical setting preferred. Intermediate and advanced
phone, verbal and computer skills. Ability to work well under
pressure with minimal supervision. Flexibility and willingness to
handle a variety of tasks. Ability to handle the changing needs of
the department and organization
- Epic EMR experience preferred. Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Bilingual in Spanish and English a plus. Physical Requirements:
- Use of clear and audible speaking voice and the ability to hear
normal speech level in person, over the telephone or through use of
other required technology. Sitting or standing for long periods of
time. Frequent repetitive motion includes computer keyboard use,
reaching with hands and arms, and walking. Occasional lifting and
or moving up to 30 pounds and on rare occasion up to 50 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required include viewing computer monitor
for long periods of time, close vision, distance vision, color
vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- Must be able to wear appropriate personal protective equipment
(PPE) as required. Working Conditions:
- Work inside in a general medical office setting with
ergonomically configured equipment.
- Travel between COPA clinics and business office as
Keywords: Central Oregon Pediatrics Associates, Bend , Patient Operations Specialist: Front Desk (Wednesday - Sunday), Other , Bend, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...