ST. CHARLES MEDICAL GROUP
PHYSICIAN JOB DESCRIPTION
TITLE: Obstetrician and Gynecologist
REPORTS TO POSITION: Chief Medical Officer
DEPARTMENT: St. Charles Center for Women's Health
DATE LAST REVIEWED: 10/31/2019
OUR VISION: Creating America's healthiest community,
OUR MISSION: In the spirit of love and compassion, better
health, better care, better value
OUR VALUES: Accountability, Caring and Teamwork
Obstetrician and Gynecologist focuses on medical care related to
pregnancy or childbirth and diagnoses, treats, and helps prevent
diseases of women, particularly those affecting the reproductive
system. An OB/GYN is defined as expert on women's reproductive
health which includes but not limited to: prenatal and postnatal
care; preventing , diagnosing, and treating illnesses that may
affect the breast, pelvis, cervix, and urinary track and ovary;
Addressing hormonal irregularity so conception be made possible;
and, Practicing as counselor during a woman's pregnancy, delivery
of a child, menopausal management, and the surgeon to administer
caesarean section (CS) and other complicated cases like ovarian
cystectomies, and other gynecologic and obstetrical surgical
St. Charles Redmond does not offer inpatient obstetrical
services; all deliveries are performed at SC-Bend or SC-Madras.
Obstetrical care, prenatal and postnatal care are offered by Center
for Women's Health-Redmond, as well as at outreach locations, as
defined by St. Charles, including, but not limited to, Prineville,
Sisters and Bend South. Obstetrical patients with the Center for
Women's Health will be delivered by Certified Nurse Midwives or
clinic providers (back up provided by OB Hospitalist) at SC-Bend.
GYN surgeries are performed at the SC-Redmond Hospital.
Work schedule: will work a minimum of 40 hours per week in the
clinic with 36 patient contact hours.
Call expectation: Call shifts cover both Redmond GYN call and
Bend OB call. When on call Bend OB back up will be provided through
24 hour/7days per week call rotation will be shared by the
Redmond providers, covering ED patients, surgical and postoperative
patients, including, when necessary, appropriate in-house presence
and rounding. A 30 minute response time is mandated. Call averages
7 call days per month, call covered in excess of 1:4 is
Work location: Primary work location will be in Redmond for
outpatient services. Physicians also participate in the rotation to
our outreach locations, currently Prineville, Bend South & Sisters;
other locations as developed.
CLINIC DEPARTMENTAL SUMMARY: The SCMG Center for Women's Health
has a mix of physicians, certified nurse midwives, women's health
nurse practitioners, and psychologist. The office provides full
spectrum women's health services. We are the only primary OB/GYN
practice currently practicing through SCHS and providing OB/GYN
services outside of Bend and serve patients in a large central
Oregon catchment area.
HOSPITAL DEPARTMENTAL SUMMARY: The St. Charles Health System
consists of 4 hospitals located throughout Deschutes, Crook and
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
Clinical Service Line Duties:
- Practice and role model excellence in the care domains of
diagnosis, aligning treatment goals to patient values, definitive
treatment, supportive care treatment, follow-up care, promote good
health and prevent illness.
- Practice medicine with a focus on safety, quality and best use
- Practice medicine within the scope of license, training and
credentialing. Cooperate with other SCHS physicians and caregivers
to insure optimal patient care.
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate individual patient care
while demonstrating expert knowledge of evidence-based, Obstetric
and Gynecologic care.
- Collaborate with other members of the Obstetric and Gynecologic
care interdisciplinary team and referring providers to ensure a
world-class patient experience.
- Calculates dosages and administers medications accurately in
accordance with SCHS policies and procedures for medication
- Document all patient care in the proper form and in a timely
manner in compliance with hospital policies and regulatory
- Delivers first rate customer service and/or patient care in a
manner that promotes goodwill, and is timely, efficient and
accurate, and courteous.
- Proportionately share in after-hours call with other OB/GYNs,
of similar sub-subspecialty training.
- Keep medical knowledge and skills current through regular CME
activity. Must attest to having obtained 60 hours of Category 1
continuing medical education (CME) relevant to the practitioner's
current medical practice over the prior two-year work period.
- May perform additional duties of similar complexity within the
organization, as required or assigned.
- Acts as a leader and supports departmental goals and the
vision, mission and values of the St. Charles Health System in all
- Provides customer service in a manner that promotes goodwill,
is timely, efficient and accurate.
- Creates a healing environment that supports all aspects of
care, respects the wholeness of the individual, and demonstrates
therapeutic presence through attitudes and behaviors that enhance
the safety and care experience for patients, caregivers and
- Supports Value Improvement Practice (VIP- Lean) principles of
continuous improvement with energy and enthusiasm, functioning as a
champion of change; Contribute as necessary to assist in policy
formation for the organization.
- Participates in creating intentional relationships, and put a
high level of focus on attitudes and behaviors that enhance the
- Is familiar with the organization structure, communications
systems and billing process, completing billing and coding
documentation within time assigned.
- Conducts all activities with the highest standards of
professionalism and confidentiality. Complies with all applicable
laws, regulations, policies and procedures, supporting the health
system's corporate integrity efforts by acting in an ethical and
appropriate manner, reporting known or suspected violations of
applicable rules, and cooperating fully with all health system's
investigations and proceedings.
- Keep all licenses and appropriate certifications current and
unrestricted to maintain privileges at a St. Charles Health System
hospital sufficient to permit performance of job duties.
- Increases understanding and collaboration throughout the
- Maintain compliance of hospital's Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules
and Regulations, as required by SCHS Board of Directors.
- Graduation from an accredited medical school.
- Successful completion of an accredited residency program in
Physician's chosen specialty (ies).
- Successful completion of additional educational programs
necessary to enable Physician to acquire and maintain privileges to
perform the range of services contemplated. This includes board
eligibility/certification in the specialty being practiced.
- Complete annual fire/safety, etc. education in-services as
- Attend mandatory educational offerings as described in SCHS
policies/procedures and/or as required by other regulatory
- Complete annual CME as required to maintain license and
appropriate Board certification.
- Complete in a timely manner assigned Computer Based Learning
- Current license as MD / DO.
- Board certified or eligible in Physician's chosen specialty.
Those applicants who are not board certified at the time of
application but who have completed their residency or fellowship
training are required to become board certified within seven years
of residency or fellowship training.
- Unrestricted Federal DEA number.
- Unrestricted ability to participate in Medicare / Medicaid, or
other federal or state governmental health care programs.
- Valid driver's license and the ability to meet SCHS driving
- Current BLS certification required.
- If provider will practice sedation, moderate or deep, ACLS
certification is also required.
- Additional certifications may be required based on privileges
granted to provider by Medical Staff Services at SCHS Inpatient
- Oregon license as MD / DO.
- Federal DEA number registered in Oregon.
- Experience in hospital and outpatient practice environments
providing care in Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- Experience using EMR (Electronic Medical Records)
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills to effectively
interact with a diverse population and professionally represent St.
Charles Health System.
- Experience working in a team environment and proven ability to
collaborate, manage facilitation and consensus building among
health care professionals and agencies to achieve expected
- Two (2) + year's active practice in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Epic EMR software experience.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
Must be able to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment
(PPE) required to perform the job safely.
ADDITIONAL POSITION INFORMATION
Obstetric and Gynecologic care services are provided in Redmond
at the Center for Women's Health. A 24 hour/7days per week call
rotation will be shared by the Redmond providers, covering Bend OB,
Redmond ED patients, surgical and postoperative patients,
including, when necessary, appropriate in-house presence and
rounding. A 30 minute response time is mandated. Obstetrical
privileges will be for SC-Bend. Outreach and community education
leadership will be emphasized.
Schedule Weekly Hours:
Is Exempt Position?
Scheduled Days of the Week:
Shift Start & End Time: