Director of Adult Basic Skills (ABS)
Posted on: November 16, 2022
Director of Adult Basic Skills (ABS) Below you will find details
for the position including any supplementary documentation and
questions you should review before applying for this opening. To
apply for this position, please click the Apply for this Job
link/button. If you would like to bookmark this position for later
review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a
copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview
link. Bookmark this Posting - Print Preview - Apply for this Job
Please see Special Instructions for more details. Finalists
selected to interview may be required to provide a candidate
presentation to the College campus community or complete a skills
demonstration.Note that you will be required to upload/create the
required documents indicated in this posting at the time you apply.
Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at application. It is the
responsibility of the applicant to upload all required documents,
including transcript(s). If you have questions please contact Human
Resources at 541-383-7216.Posting Details Application Instructions
Please read carefully before applying: You must provide all
information requested on the application form (resumes will not be
considered as a substitute for the application). Initial screening
by Human Resources for minimum requirements is based on your
APPLICATION ONLY (supporting documents will not be reviewed during
initial screening). Incomplete applications will not be considered
by hiring committees. You will have an opportunity to upload
supporting documents for committee consideration during this online
application process. COCC reserves the right to cancel or change
recruitment postings based on organizational needs.Position
Information Posting Number: 06002226 Position Title: Director of
Adult Basic Skills (ABS) Posting Date: 10/06/2022 Closing Date:
Open Until Filled (notes): First review November 13, 2022 Length of
Position: 12 months per year Anticipated Start Date:
November/December 2022Position Type/Employee Class: Administrative
FTE: 1.0 FTE Salary Level: Administrative Salary Level 27 Starting
Pay Range $69,449 - $75,000 plus exceptional benefit package Hours
per Week: 40 hr/wk Work Schedule: Typically 8:00am - 5:00pm Days of
the Week: Typically Monday - Friday Job Summary/Purpose: The
Director ABS on boards Adult Basic Skills ( ABS ) and English
Language Learner ( ELL ) students, assists them with testing and
placement in ABS / ELL programs, and provides them with ongoing
guidance and support. The director meets regularly with the ABS
leadership team to promote student success, make strategic
decisions that ensure performance-based funding state and federal
targets are met, and implement policies and procedures that meet
student needs and connect them to community resources.Additional
- Comprehensive medical, vision, and dental insurance plans
- Tuition Waiver for degree-related and personal
enrichment/development courses for Employees, Spouses, Domestic
Partners, and children up to 25 years of age
- Generous monthly vacation and sick leave accruals
- 10 paid holidays a year, plus a paid full week off during
- Use of all College recreation facilities in Mazama Gym at no
- A staff wellness program that offers a variety of activities
and health resources
- PERS (Public Employee Retirement System) eligibility
- 20% Discount at COCC Bookstore
- Engaging workplace culture with a mission to serve students and
- COCC is a qualifying employer for the Public Service Loan
Forgiveness ( PSLF ) ProgramTerms of Employment:
- This is a 12-month exempt position at pay level 27 in the
Administrative salary schedule.
- Requires flexible work schedule, which may include evenings
and/or weekends as well as travel throughout the district.
- Requires the provision of official transcripts upon hire.
- COCC employees must work and reside in the state of Oregon at
the time their work is being performed.
- The College is NOT able to support Visa applications for this
position. Applicants must already be eligible to work in the United
States to be considered for this position.
- Upon hire, must pass criminal and/or driving history; only
information relevant to the position will be considered.
- Effective Monday, April 18, 2022, COCC implemented a COVID -19
vaccination requirement for all employees, including benefited
employees, part-time faculty, and temporary workers such as
irregular wage, work study and community education. Upon hire, new
employees will receive an email with instructions outlining how to
upload proof of full COVID -19 vaccination or request a medical or
religious exception.Essential Functions: Program Leadership
- Attend Higher Education Coordinating Commission trainings and
coordination meetings and ensure compliance with Workforce
Innovation and Opportunity Act ( WIOA ) Title II grant.
- Lead staff, faculty, and students in achieving program
objectives, implementing Oregon Adult College and Career Readiness
Standards ( OACCRS ), and meeting or exceeding accountability
- Gather, input, and review data for program improvement.
- Maintain safeguards around confidential and/or sensitive files
and documents, including tests.
- Generate correspondence, reports, forms, tables, presentations,
and student records.
- Lead, supervise and train the ABS team, including instructors
and staff members. Responsibilities include team development,
department vision and goal setting, staff meetings and retreats,
and the hiring, evaluation, and training for all staff.Student
Recruitment and Success
- Design and lead pre-term orientations for Adult Basic Skills (
ABS ) and English Language Learner ( ELL ) students.
- Administer, score, and interpret California Adult Education
Accountability and Assessment ( CASAS ) pre-testing at orientations
to determine appropriate class placement.
- Guide students through ABS / ELL registration, enrollment,
scholarship forms, and authorizations.
- Monitor student progress and retention through attendance
records, CASAS assessments, and GED completion.
- Coordinate participation with and visits from coaches,
coordinators, recruiters, department chairs, and WorkSource
- Guide the ABS leadership team on program planning and
development, coordinating events, recruitment, budgeting, hiring,
evaluating faculty and staff, and modifying policies.
- Submit quarterly data and budget reports to the Higher
Education Coordinating Commission ABS team.
- Connect, collaborate, and establish partnerships with other
departments at the college, other ABS programs, and Higher
Education Coordinating Commission ABS staff.
- Cross-train with other ABS office staff members and assist when
additional coverage is needed.
- Perform other essential functions as assigned that support the
overall objective of the position.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills and abilities or
be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform
the duties and responsibilities of the job, with or without
reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills
and abilities. The individual is expected to follow College work
rules and policies.
- Ability to develop knowledge of COCC degree requirements and of
Title II program expectations.
- Ability to learn CASAS test proctoring and TOPSpro database
entry and reports.
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with people
from different cultural, ethnic, and socio-economic
- Skills in listening, interpersonal, and culturally respectful
communication (oral and written) skills.
- Computer skills in writing reports, preparing curriculum,
maintaining databases, and designing presentations.
- Ability to manage conflicts within and/or between groups and to
work in a team environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines, set work priorities, and manage
- Ability to work independently and to use good judgment with
respect to priorities and deadlines.
- Demonstrated flexibility to adjust to change.
- Ability to adhere to federal grant guidelines and student
- Ability to learn and promote Oregon Career & College Readiness
- Ability to work with software programs and database systems,
which include the Microsoft Office Suite, email, basic desktop
publishing, and modern office equipmentPhysical Demands and Other
Ergonomic Requirements: Regular office hours are established
between 8 am 5 pm during the workweek. A flexible work schedule,
including nights and weekends, may be necessary due to the nature
of the responsibilities. Rotating and flexible schedule to conduct
orientations, make presentations, and meet individually with
students during morning, afternoon, and evening class times.
Candidate must have reliable transportation to orientation sites,
college campuses, and community partner facilities.Incumbent must
be able to function effectively indoors in an office environment
engaged in work of primarily a sedentary nature. Requires the
ability to work at a workstation for extended periods. Requires to
write, read written materials and computer screens, and ability to
use telephonic conversations. Occasional lifting up to 25lbs. All
individuals are required to perform essential functions with or
without reasonable accommodation.Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
Statement The goal of Central Oregon Community College is to
provide an atmosphere that encourages our faculty, staff and
students to realize their full potential. In support of this goal,
it is the policy of Central Oregon Community College that there
will be no discrimination or harassment on the basis of age,
disability, sex, marital status, national origin, ethnicity, color,
race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic
information, citizenship status, veteran or military status,
pregnancy or any other classes protected under federal and state
statutes in any education program, activities or employment.
Persons with questions about this statement should contact Human
Resources at 541.383.7216 or the Vice President for Student Affairs
at 541.383.7211.This policy covers nondiscrimination in both
employment and access to educational opportunities. When brought to
the attention of the appropriate parties, any such actions will be
promptly and equitably responded to according to the process
outlined in general procedures sections N-1, N-2, or N-3.In support
of COCCs EEO statement, bilingual fluency in English and Spanish is
considered a plus, along with experience working in a diverse
multicultural setting.Minimum Qualifications:
- Masters degree in education or a related field
- Three (3) years of experience in an instructional setting
- One-year supervisory experience
- The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained
outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants
who do not meet minimum qualifications may be considered, but
employment would be contingent on an exemption being requested and
approved by the State ABS Director in writing. In this case, the
College would be required to avow that the candidate is able to
fulfill the duties and responsibilities of a Director, and the
candidate would be required to have at least 10 years of direct ABS
program experience.The College recognizes the value of skills and
knowledge gained outside of formal higher education and paid
employment. Applicants who do not meet minimum qualifications but
present other qualifications or experience equivalent to those
required will be considered and are encouraged to apply. To qualify
under equivalency, applicants must indicate how they qualify under
equivalency by responding to the supplemental question presented
during the application process.All employees are required to
successfully complete and pass a background screen, which includes
a criminal history check.Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in academic leadership, team building, and/or
compliance with grant or performance-based standardsSpecial
Instructions to Applicants: Finalists selected to interview may be
required to provide a candidate presentation to the College campus
community or complete a skills demonstration.Note that you will be
required to upload/create the required documents indicated in this
posting at the time you apply. Unofficial transcripts are
acceptable at application. It is the responsibility of the
applicant to upload all required documents, including
transcript(s). If you have questions please contact Human Resources
at 541-383-7216.Is a Criminal History Check required? Yes Is a
Credit History Check Required? No Open Until Filled Yes
Keywords: COCC, Bend , Director of Adult Basic Skills (ABS), Executive , Bend, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!