Senior VFX Artist
Company: Mutant Arm Studios
Posted on: March 17, 2020
Senior FX Artist
Mutant Arm Studios is an up-and-coming independent developer, based
along the beautiful Cascade mountain range, in Bend, Oregon. We are
a fun-sized group of highly skilled developers, led by an Industry
proven AAA Design team, working with one of the industry's most
prominent publishing partners.
At Mutant Arm Studios, one of the core pillars of our company is to
hire team members who are game developers FIRST, and specialists
second. Our goal is to build and maintain a focused group of
game-makers, who are looking to approach game development in a
creative and holistic way, and truly connect with players.
We've done it all before, and our mission now is simple: "Let's
make some seriously cool games, with some seriously cool
THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY OR MID-LEVEL POSITION.
The Senior FX Artist plays a very important role on the Mutant Arm
team. We are strong believers that, not only are VFX an integral
aspect of defining the visual style of a game, but also critical in
the Game-play prototyping phase, to test and solidify our core
gameplay feedback loop. VFX play a huge part in whether or not it
"feels" good to interact with objects and characters in our world,
long before we leave the grey-box phase of development.
The Senior VFX Artist will work closely with both Art Direction and
Game Design Departments to create a visual language that helps
communicate key gameplay mechanics, as well as a tone and style,
that feels right in the universe we're creating.
This person will also help to define our VFX pipeline, our FX
memory/performance budget and quality metrics, as well as help
recruit and vet other potential FX candidates.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong understanding of traditional art concepts, and animation
- Expertise with the Unreal 4 Cascade and Materials tools, as
well as some experience with Niagara.
- Expert understanding of Adobe photoshop, After Effects, and at
least one major 3D software package - Maya is a plus.
- Understanding of, and experience with Houdini.
- Must be able to ideate and iterate quickly and clearly during
Prototyping and Viz Dev phases of development.
- The ability to work in a broad range of styles, as well as the
desire to create new ones!
- A strong understanding of the effects of real-time VFX on
performance, and how to implement creative optimization solutions
without sacrificing visual quality.
- Attention to detail is imperative!! Please put the word
"cupcake" in the subject line of your response.
- The ability to communicate succinctly and professionally with
- The ability to take direction, constructive criticism, and
accept that not everything will make it into the game, in a
professional manner. We try a LOT of new ideas and throw a LOT of
things out here.
- Must have at least 5 years in the Games Industry, with at least
2 AAA titles shipped.
- The ability to mentor, and provide concise feedback for junior
FX artists, as well as outsourcing partners.
- A love of games is required! Be prepared to talk to us about
what you did and did not love about various games!
- A positive attitude!! We're a smallish team of people who like
games, and like each other. One grumpy person can ruin it for
- We are also an equal opportunity employer, and enjoy a diverse
team! If you're someone who does not enjoy a diverse team, do us
all a favor and don't apply here!
Keywords: Mutant Arm Studios, Bend , Senior VFX Artist, Advertising , Bend, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!