Senior Concept Artist
Company: Mutant Arm Studios
Posted on: March 16, 2020
Senior Concept Artist
Mutant Arm Studios is an up-and-coming independent developer, based
along the beautiful Cascade mountain range, in Bend, Oregon. We are
a fun-sized group of highly skilled developers, led by an Industry
proven AAA Design team, working with one of the industry's most
prominent publishing partners.
At Mutant Arm Studios, one of the core pillars of our company is to
hire team members who are game developers FIRST, and specialists
second. Our goal is to build and maintain a focused group of
game-makers, who are looking to approach game development in a
creative and holistic way, and truly connect with players.
We've done it all before, and our mission now is simple: "Let's
make some seriously cool games, with some seriously cool
THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY LEVEL POSITION.
The Senior Concept Artist plays a very important role on the Mutant
Arm team, as this person will take an active part in the Design and
Visual Development of our projects. Because of this, we will give
special consideration to applicants who are avid game players and
experienced game developers, over candidates who can simply draw
well (---you still must be able to draw well!). We are making games
here, so a familiarity with (and opinions about) gameplay mechanics
and creating immersive worlds are a definite plus! You need to know
how to have fun!!
The Senior Concept Artist works together with the Art Director to
create and communicate a visual language for each project, that can
be used to convey story, tone, style, and most importantly,
critical gameplay information, in a way that feels right for the
worlds we're creating.
This person also works with Game Designers and World Architects to
communicate functionality and intent, in a clear, yet creative way.
(e.g. how should a modular kit be broken up, or how does an in-game
puzzle move and work? How does a player or enemy attack?)
While this person should be very well rounded, and up for multiple
types of concept creation, an emphasis in Environmental design is a
Skills and Qualifications:
- Expert understanding of basic composition and spatial
relationships, color theory and light, line and form, mood and
tone, perspective and proportion, movement and pose, etc--- You get
where we're heading here, right? A mastery of traditional art
- Excellent 2d design and rendering skills, as well as sketching
and thumbnailing, storyboarding, creating model sheets and lighting
keys, as well as paint-overs and rough schematics.
- Must be able to ideate and iterate quickly and clearly during
Prototyping and Viz Dev phases of development.
- The ability to work in multiple different art styles, as well
as the desire to create new ones!
- Expert understanding of Adobe photoshop. Experience with 3d
software a plus. Traditional media a plus!
- Attention to detail is imperative!! Please put the word
"fishbowl" in the subject line of your response.
- The ability to effectively communicate potentially complex
ideas and concepts visually, as well as verbally between team-mates
- The ability to take direction, constructive criticism, and
accept that not everything will make it into the game, in a
professional manner. We try a LOT of new ideas and throw a LOT of
things out here. There's no crying in baseball!
- Must have at least 5 years in the Games Industry, with at least
2 titles shipped. AAA preferred, but not absolutely necessary - we
can get down with some cool Indie art.
- Experience with modular asset design a plus.
- Background in Architectural or industrial design a plus.
- Understanding of World creation and level design a plus
- A love of games is required! Be prepared to talk to us about
what you did and did not love about various games!
- A positive attitude!! We're a smallish team of people who like
games, and like each other. One grumpy person can ruin it for
- We are also an equal opportunity employer, and enjoy a diverse
team! If you're someone who does not enjoy a diverse team, do us
all a favor and don't apply here!
Keywords: Mutant Arm Studios, Bend , Senior Concept Artist, Advertising , Bend, Oregon
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!